To Dream or To not Dream!!!

I am a dreamer....a big dreamer.... When I was a kid I dreamt of becoming a scientist then when I was a teenager I dreamt of becoming a fashion designer then what not till finally I succumbed to being a software engineer. 7 years into IT field and I still ask my son's friends on what they would want to become in their life so that I might get some new options. Now I think of becoming a travel blogger but since I have a family to look after and mortgage to be paid that is not a viable option.



Indian kids are raised to believe that they have to take the route of education (read: Medicine or Technology) take the highest paying jobs and then keep slogging till you repay your home loans, car loans and all kinds of loans. Choice of any other profession is frowned as you don't get enough respect and money. The parents who force their children to aim for IAS or IPS wont allow them to aim for being a politician. The parents who push their children to become techies won't allow them to become entrepreneurs in their fields. All this in fear of the risk. We cant take risks because we have so much at stake. If you don't earn a decent pay you won't be able to lead a decent life, pay your bills and what not.

In India where we struggle so much for existence, we really cant afford to look for an option. My maid doesn't have a passion for washing utensils or doing other people's household chores but she has a family to look after and as per her skill-sets this job is best suitable for her. So is the story of any other middle class youngsters. We have to look after ourselves, make our kids future secure also help our parents. That is the harsh reality of our lives and passion wont feed us, pay our rents or buy us needy items.

But sometimes I feel that we should stop all this and let our kids follow their dreams. We should stop judging people on their education and the jobs they do or the kind of lifestyle they want to live. Instead we should let them dream...Dream to be different. We should encourage them to excel in whatever profession they choose. Let them climb up and hold them when they are about to fall. Let them choose anything they want to do for a living unless they are able to feed themselves and pay their rents. Lets change the definition of the word get settled and let them scatter. And moreover let them dream....

Happy Parenting!!! 



Comments

Popular Posts